Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Smash Melee tournament ruleset discussion

CaptPanda

Smash Melee tournament ruleset discussion Empty Smash Melee tournament ruleset discussion

Post by CaptPanda Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:46 pm

So I'm assuming we'll eventually host a tournament. Might as well decide some things within the CMU community.

Wobbling: I personally don't think this should be banned for any reason other than stalling. I know "don't get grabbed" is easier said than done, but in a matchup where a vital strategy is separating the two ICs, it really is difficult to actually pull this off on a real player. Besides, I wouldn't put it anywhere above the standard 0-death on spacies that most characters can do anyways. The difference is the hard part lies in getting the grab as opposed to following DI.

Stages: I like the stages we used during draft crews, though I've never really liked Green Greens. It just feels too campy. I can't see myself liking Jungle Japes either, but I've never actually played there before.

I don't really care how we choose the neutrals, though I think at least a reset would be nice if not stage striking as a whole. I just think there's too much of an advantage for certain characters on certain neutral stages (Jiggs on DL64, Marth on Yoshi's... etc), and a set shouldn't be decided on who gets luckier in the first match.

Also, turn pausing off in teams.

Thoughts?
    Anonalbe
    Anonalbe

Smash Melee tournament ruleset discussion Empty Re: Smash Melee tournament ruleset discussion

Post by Anonalbe Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 pm

As of right now, I believe the next OGS melee tourney will either be Oct 18th or Dec 4th with Late Night, but no one says we can't host one of our own. Anyways, what you experienced during draft crews was the commonly used format by all crews nationwide. When we do host the upcoming tourneys for OGS, we will most likely be using the following tournament rule set for singles (doubles will have slightly different stage listings):

General Rules

* Items are set to off
    * The stock is set to 4 *
    * The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock **
    * All sets are best of 3 matches
    * In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
    * No player may choose the stage they last won on
    * Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
    * Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
    * The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
    * Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
    * Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
    *In the event of time constraints 3 stocks may be used
    **120 seconds per stock should be considered high priority

Set Format (in order of procedure)
    1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
    2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
    3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List. Each Player will be provided one Random Reset**
    4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
    5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
    6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
    7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
    *Double blind character selection may be called for this match
    **Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List:
    Fountain of Dreams
    Pokemon Stadium
    Dream Land
    Final Destination
    Battlefield
    Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
    Rainbow Cruise
    Kongo Jungle
    Green Greens
    Jungle Japes
    Mute City
    Poke Floats
    Corneria
    Brinstar

Sure, certain characters have advantages over other characters on the random stage listing. But that's what makes them high tier characters. There is no stage that gives an equal footing for both players unless it is a mirror match. That is why you are allowed to ban one stage each and reset as well. (part 2 and 3 of set format). And that's also a reason why Fox is considered the highest tier character, as he doesn't have a stage that is considered a disadvantage. You'll just have to get used to playing on Green Greens, Japes and all of the other counters, since they will be left on the counterpicking list. But I'm sure not many people will bother to choose them as their counterpicks over the other stages. There's a few other stages that are always debated as valid counterpicks, such as Peach's Castle and Mushroom Kingdom II, but I'd probably leave them out since most tourneys go with the listing above. As for the pausing in teams, I'd probably leave that off too just so people can spam the button to steal a life without ruining the match.

Last edited by Anonalbe on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    CaptPanda

Smash Melee tournament ruleset discussion Empty Re: Smash Melee tournament ruleset discussion

Post by CaptPanda Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:48 pm

I was mostly curious about how we pick neutrals (whether it be random reset or stage striking) and the legality of Wobbling.

I think nowadays there's actually more of a movement to ban certain stages (Green Greens and Japes mostly) than legalizing MKII and Castle. Of course, I think the Tri-state region is trying to completely revise the stage list and arguing to basically ban the more unique stages (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249513.) But regardless, standard stage list is fine with me.

Doesn't matter anyways. Going by draft crews I'm the only person in the entire school who counterpicks non neutral stages.
    Laudandus
    Laudandus

Post by Laudandus Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:56 am

Hey, I counterpick Mute City basically every single time. It's kind of a ridiculous jigglypuff stage, way more than DL64 even with the nigh-invulnerability.
    Anonalbe
    Anonalbe

Post by Anonalbe Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 am

Exetus wrote:I think nowadays there's actually more of a movement to ban certain stages (Green Greens and Japes mostly) than legalizing MKII and Castle. Of course, I think the Tri-state region is trying to completely revise the stage list and arguing to basically ban the more unique stages (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249513.) But regardless, standard stage list is fine with me.

Doesn't matter anyways. Going by draft crews I'm the only person in the entire school who counterpicks non neutral stages.

Haha jfox totally would propose this. If everyone were to suddenly adapt his ruleset, that would be interesting. Apparently pound4 is stage striking too with Kongo Jungle on the neutral list: "Stage striking will be used to determine the first match and we need an odd number of neutrals to do that. Hence why KJ is legal." It would definitely be interesting to try D: and if enough people don't like japes, maybe we'll have it banned too

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:11 pm