Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
galefrost
melonbox
omgitsomeguy
PaulieB
Wineandbread
IRSA Stealthbreed
Master Zam
JustAnIdiot
Falindrith
Epic Warrior
heynivek
Vaddix
Zelareth
V2Blast
superscience890
Bundy
CaptPanda
Relambrien
Makura
Darmani
Anonalbe
Laudandus
DickChang
kungfuparrot
Cypher
29 posters

[09.11.10] - Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament

Cypher
    Cypher

[09.11.10] - Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament Empty [09.11.10] - Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament

Post by Cypher Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:51 pm

What: Super Smash Bros. Tournaments
    When: Saturday, September 11th; 2:00pm
    Doubles Tournament 2:00-4:00
    Singles Tournament 4:00-8:00

Where: UC Connan

I hope y'all had a good Summer vacation, because now that school is back in session, events that happen to be filled to the brim with fun and excitement can be few and far between... Fortunately for everyone, OGS is going be hosting such an event this very weekend!

That's right, this Saturday we're hosting our very first tournament of the year! We'll be playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, a favorite of many OGSers, in both a doubles tournament format, and in a singles tournament format. That's right, not one but two tournaments!

As usual, we'll be raffling of some totally sweet prizes. In fact, we'll be giving away a free TV to one lucky attendee. Be that'll spice up your dorm room, eh? Of course, please be sure to RSVP for a raffle ticket by simply posting in reply to this thread. If you don't RSVP, then the only way to get more tickets is to place in one of the tournaments. If you don't RSVP and you don't place, you'll have no chance of winning the fabulous prizes!

Sadly, we're going to need a few extra "set-ups" for the night, so if you've got a Wii/GameCube, along with a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee, we'll give you three extra raffle tickets for you to bring it over for the night. Just mention it in your RSVP. Thanks!

Oh, and there's going to be a whole ton of Rock Band set up for everyone to enjoy.

RULES
    Based on the Smashboards.com recommended rule set for Melee.

The bracket will be double-elimination, with all sets except the finals being best of three. Winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will be best of five. For those unfamiliar with the double-elimination format, it is a tournament bracket set up so that you must lose two sets in order to be eliminated from the tournament. Those who have not lost once are in the "winner's bracket" and will only play against those who have not yet lost. Those who have lost once are in the "loser's bracket" and will play only against others who have lost once, thus losing a match in loser's bracket means elimination from the tournament. The player who wins the loser's bracket then plays the winner of the winner's bracket in a grand final. The grand final may consist of two sets; if the person from loser's bracket wins the first set, he must win another to win the tournament, as the person coming from winner's bracket will have only lost once.

Doubles
    Neutral stages:
    -Battlefield
    -Dream Land 64
    -Final Destination
    -Pokémon Stadium
    -Yoshi's Story

Counterpick stages:
    -Brinstar
    -Kongo Jungle 64
    -Rainbow Cruise

Friendly fire will be set to ON.
    Life stealing IS LEGAL. As a general courtesy, however, you may want to ask your teammate if he or she would allow it personally.

Singles
    Neutral stages:
    -Battlefield
    -Dream Land 64
    -Final Destination
    -Fountain of Dreams
    -Yoshi's Story

Counterpick stages:
    -Brinstar
    -Pokémon Stadium
    -Rainbow Cruise

General rules for both doubles and singles
    Items are set to off.
    Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
    Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
    The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
    Blind Picks: Upon request, a player may choose to have character selection for the first match of the set be a "blind pick". This means both players will tell their character selection to a trusted third party, who will then reveal both players' characters.
    Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players.
    Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
    Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Format of a set
    1. When your match is called, find your opponent and move to the assigned TV (you may just be told to find any TV to play on).
    2. If there are any disputes about who gets what controller port, resolve these using rock-paper-scissors or a similar method.
    3. Perform character selection. If a player wishes to invoke a blind pick, then carry out the procedure for doing so mentioned above.
    4. Perform "stage striking." Both players select stages from the five neutrals on which they would not like to play the first match until only one stage remains. The player with the lower controller port number goes first, and picks one stage to strike. The other player then strikes two stages, and the first player strikes the final stage, leaving one stage left.
    5. The match is played on the stage selected.
    6. The winner of the match selects a stage to "ban", and the loser picks the next stage from any remaining legal stage, including counterpick stages and with respect to Dave's Stupid Rule. The loser may also opt to simply have the game randomly select any of the five neutral stages with the random stage option on the stage select screen.
    7. The winner selects his character, then the loser selects his character.
    8. Repeat from step five until one player has won enough matches to win the set.

After a set is complete, the winner must report it to the tournament host. For this tournament, it should be fine to just report to one of the OGS officers.

Miscellaneous
    Game-breaking glitch abuse to win a match is strictly forbidden. "Game-breaking" refers to such things as the Ice Climbers freeze glitch, and does not include such things as Mewtwo's Confusion trick on the Battlefield ledge. Use your common sense and there should be no issues.
    Failing to report to a match for which you have been called in a reasonable time frame will result in disqualification. What is a "reasonable time frame" is up to the tournament organizer and may change depending on how pressed for time the tournament is, so your best bet is to just pay attention and go to your match as soon as you hear it called. If you need to use the bathroom or something, just let someone know. We're reasonable, and aren't going to DQ you just because you stepped out for a minute to get a drink or something; we just need to know where you are so that we don't think you abandoned the tournament.
    Stalling to the point where an opponent cannot advance the match is forbidden. This includes things like wall jumping under Battlefield or using Jigglypuff's Pound to permanently stay out of range of attack up in a corner somewhere. Stalling as a form of attack baiting is perfectly acceptable, however, such as with Sheik's vanish stalls on the ledge. Additionally, use of "stalling techniques" for recovery, such as Puff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is legal. Again, use your common sense; that's the biggest thing with this rule.
    If possible, try to avoid using a Wavebird or other wireless controller. Interference and battery life issues make them far too unreliable to use properly. We will have some controllers available for general use if you do not have one available to you.
    If there is a rule dispute or some odd situation such as the power to a console or TV suddenly going out mid-game, the general response will be to replay the match that was in progress at the time of the oddity occurring. If the two players cannot agree on what to do, contact one of the tournament organizers and we will deal with it.
    In general, the winner of a match is whichever character appears as the winner as stated by the game after the match is over. Thus, if you lose your last stock while your opponent is becoming a star, you still lose the match. To speed things along, a player may voluntarily quit out of the game via the pause screen if he or she wishes to forfeit the current game and move on to the next one.
    The decisions of tournament organizers are final.

The competition is over and the results have been posted!
    Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament results thread

Last edited by Cypher on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kungfuparrot

[09.11.10] - Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament Empty Re: [09.11.10] - Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament

Post by kungfuparrot Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:57 pm

RSVPing for some Rock Band and the raffle
    DickChang

[09.11.10] - Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament Empty Re: [09.11.10] - Smash Bros. Welcome Tournament

Post by DickChang Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:41 pm

MELEE REPRESENT
    Laudandus
    Laudandus

Post by Laudandus Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:58 pm

I will be entering both melee tournaments, with Cobalt/Woody as my teammate for doubles
    Anonalbe
    Anonalbe

Post by Anonalbe Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:23 pm

DICK CHANG GET OVER HERE!
    Darmani

Post by Darmani Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:16 pm

RSVPing for singles.
    Laudandus
    Laudandus

Post by Laudandus Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:25 pm

(I will also take money matches from anyone)

(Especially Phil)
    Makura

Post by Makura Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:41 pm

RSVP for at least singles...
    Relambrien
    Relambrien

Post by Relambrien Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:32 pm

RSVPing for both.

I'll go ahead and bring my Wii with Smash as well.
    CaptPanda

Post by CaptPanda Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Taking third in singles and second in doubles in this.
    Bundy

Post by Bundy Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:03 pm

RSVPing for singles.

i also got a wii with Brawl, but that probably doesn't help does it haha. I also got a few gamecube controllers
    superscience890

Post by superscience890 Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:53 pm

RSVPing for singles Very Happy
    I would go with doubles but no partner.... for now :3 If anyone is willing to partner I wouldn't mind Very Happy
    Just keep in mind.... I sorta suck >_>

I have a copy of melee.... though no set up >_>

Last edited by superscience890 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Relambrien
    Relambrien

Post by Relambrien Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 pm

I went ahead and updated the first post with the rules. Those who haven't been to a Smash tournament before may find them daunting, but don't worry about it. We're friendly people, so if you're unsure of anything, just ask Very Happy

I'll also bring some hard copies of the rules along with me to the tournament in case anyone needs to see them.
    V2Blast
    V2Blast

Post by V2Blast Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 am

RSVP: Rock Band + raffle
    Laudandus
    Laudandus

Post by Laudandus Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 am

Bundy wrote:RSVPing for singles.

i also got a wii with Brawl, but that probably doesn't help does it haha. I also got a few gamecube controllers

If you bring that, I can supply a copy of melee.
    Zelareth
    Zelareth

Post by Zelareth Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:06 pm

RSVPing for Singles, Doubles, and for TO Very Happy
    Vaddix
    Vaddix

Post by Vaddix Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:49 pm

RSVP for singles and possibly doubles if I can find a partner before the event. I play Ness if anyone wants to partner with me. I'm pretty decent most of the time and play mid-air predominantly
    Also RSVP for Rock Band on any instrument
    heynivek

Post by heynivek Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:56 pm

i'll be there for doubles and maybe singles.

i'll also be accepting money matches in puyo puyo tsu.
    Epic Warrior
    Epic Warrior

Post by Epic Warrior Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm RSVPing for the singles tournament. I might be able to bring a controller or two.
    Anonalbe
    Anonalbe

Post by Anonalbe Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 pm

We should have a few controllers for anyone who doesn't own one. Despite that fact, it is HIGHLY recommended that you bring your own for play! GET HYPE!
    Falindrith
    Falindrith

Post by Falindrith Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 am

I'd like to join. I'm not the greatest smash player, but I'm interested in both the singles and doubles tournament. I usually play Marth and I'm looking for a partner.
    Also RSVPing for Rock Band and raffle.
    JustAnIdiot

Post by JustAnIdiot Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:44 am

Just RSVP-ing for the raffle tickets, haven't played SSB in years now (and it actually has been years, I think), so I'm not going to try my luck in a tournament just yet. I'll definitely have fun watching though.
    Master Zam
    Master Zam

Post by Master Zam Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 am

RSVP for singles and doubles. I also have an extra Wii + Melee, but I only have 1 controller.
    Anonalbe
    Anonalbe

Post by Anonalbe Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:47 am

JustAnIdiot wrote:Just RSVP-ing for the raffle tickets, haven't played SSB in years now (and it actually has been years, I think), so I'm not going to try my luck in a tournament just yet. I'll definitely have fun watching though.

It won't hurt to enter. Sure you may be embarrassed if you lose some matches, but you learn so much more D: and instead of paying $5-20 at a normal tourney, you can get all the experience for free! But if you are adamant about not entering, be sure to get as many friendlies as you can >_<
    JustAnIdiot

Post by JustAnIdiot Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 am

Yeah, you've got a point. Can't say I'm totally adamant about not entering, because I do remember it being fun, just don't want to be kept to word that I'm going to be entering a competition or not, as I don't know how my nerves will hold. We'll see and set that as a tentative RSVP on singles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:22 pm