Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
heynivek
JenniferMini
6 posters

[10.02.10] - Melee & Super Street Fighter Tournament Live Stream

JenniferMini

[10.02.10] - Melee & Super Street Fighter Tournament Live Stream Empty [10.02.10] - Melee & Super Street Fighter Tournament Live Stream

Post by JenniferMini Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 pm

What: Smash Bros. Melee & Super Street Fighter IV Tournament
    When: Saturday, October 2nd; 6:00pm
    Tournaments Start at 6:30pm
    Where: UC Rangos and Danforth Lounge (2nd Floor of UC)

Tournament will be Streamed Live!

Melee and or Super Street Fighter 4.
    Food Provided.
    Bring your Own Controller. Extras available.
    Mysterious Prizes to be announced: May include ipods, GameStop Gift Cards, and more.
    6 pm UC Rangos and Danforth Lounge! Saturday, Oct 2
    Sign-in and practice between 6 and 6:30.
    Additional practice games plus Rockband will be available running as well.
    $6 Singles Presale, $7 Singles at Door
    $8 per Double Pair

Sign-up early to secure a spot.
    Tabling will occur all week throughout the day at the UC.

Melee (Smash) will fit the double elimination model with an ultimate battle at the end for both the singles and doubles tournament.
    Super Street Fighters IV will also fit the double elimination model with an ultimate final battle.
    heynivek

[10.02.10] - Melee & Super Street Fighter Tournament Live Stream Empty Re: [10.02.10] - Melee & Super Street Fighter Tournament Live Stream

Post by heynivek Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:30 am

Questions:

Is this an OGS hosted event? So its running at the same time as the halo thing?

We have to pay? Is there a cash prize or something to justify this cost?

There are limited seats?
    heynivek

[10.02.10] - Melee & Super Street Fighter Tournament Live Stream Empty Re: [10.02.10] - Melee & Super Street Fighter Tournament Live Stream

Post by heynivek Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:32 am

More questions:

can one person participate in all the tournaments, meaning the street fighter tournament and the melee tournaments?

what is an ultimate final battle?
    JenniferMini

Post by JenniferMini Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 am

Hello, This is not an OGS hosted event, although we have asked for their advice and have incorporated it. There is a Gift Card Prize to Game Stop for each winner, with a larger prize for the doubles winners.

Yes, one person can participate in all 3 tournaments: Single Melee, Double Melee, and SSF4.

The Ultimate Final Battles are Final Face offs between the winners of the double elimination brackets - and will be displayed on large screens for all to see.

The entire event will be streamed live as well.

Thank you for your questions.

-JM
    Cypher
    Cypher

Post by Cypher Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:10 am

Format'd

The event isn't OGS-hosted, but OGS does support all gaming and gaming-related activities. This serves as a good reminder that this forum is available to all y'all who wanna host gaming events, whether it's a full-on tournament like this, or you just want a bit of extra competition to show up the next time your floor decides to play Smash Bros. until 6:00 in the morning.

This event and the Halo: Reach Lone Wolves Tournament are happening at pretty much the same time, right across the hall from each other, meaning that the 2nd floor of the UC will pretty much be a non-stop party. I encourage you to check out both events. All the tournaments that day will be paid-entry, although I know the Halo event (at least) will be offering Reach and Brawl free-play.

JenniferMini, I do recommend that you append your tournament ruleset to your original post. It's always good to be clear about what exactly people will be up against.
    monkeyleader

Post by monkeyleader Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 am

The times seem awefully close together, would it be possible to participate in both the halo AND ssf4 tournaments?
    Cypher
    Cypher

Post by Cypher Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't see why not! Simply be sure to notify the different Tournament Organizers (TOs) as to your situation. Halo: Reach matches last from about 6 to 10 minutes, so if you make it to the semi-finals on the first qualifying round, that's time for you to play Super Street Fighter IV right there. Considering that Super Street Fighter IV matches don't take a huge amount of time, I'm sure the seven-or-so players you'll be facing in Halo: Reach won't mind waiting a minute or two.

Just be sure to keep track of your controllers!
    bottleofmoe

Post by bottleofmoe Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:35 am

yo where do i buy a ticket/spot in the tourney. I dont see u guys selling them anywhere
    bottleofmoe

Post by bottleofmoe Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:36 am

btw if this not an OGS event whose is it? and does that mean non cmu ppl fina come thru too?
    superscience890

Post by superscience890 Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:03 pm

Which console is the SSF4 tourney going to be on?
    JenniferMini

Post by JenniferMini Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Hello,

The Melee/SSF4 tournament is a project for a CMU business class.

YES, non cmu people are more than welcome. Smile

Our games will be played on a combination of Xbox and Wii consoles.

-JenniferMini
    Cypher
    Cypher

Post by Cypher Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:42 pm

So as the individuals who attended this "event" no doubt know, things didn't really pan out. It was hosted by a group of students from an entrepreneurship class here at CMU. Now, I know that a lot of you were really looking forward to this event, and were very dissapointed when it fell through. I tried to make it clear to the entrepreneurship class group that they were committing to something big, but I guess it didn't really get through to them.

Anyways, their professor would like to apologize to you guys on their behalf. I think it's a really kind thing of him to do. Here's what he wrote:

Dear CMU OGS Members;

My name is Dave Mawhinney. I am a Professor of Entrepreneurship at Carnegie Mellon.

I am writing to apologize to your organization.

As part of our entrepreneurship class, we run a competition called "The Apprentice". The goal of this competition is to give our students real-life entrepreneurial experience. This semester, two groups in our class planned to hold gaming competitions as part of the Apprentice project. These groups had contacted your organization for help in promoting their competitions and getting access to gaming equipment.

Apparently, there was confusion in our groups which led them to not live up to expectations they had set with your organization. We are very sorry for this.

In the future, we will specifically instruct our students to be respectful of the time and resources of the CMU OGS, as well as other campus organizations.

We appreciate that the CMU OGS was willing to help our students and hope that we can work together in the future.

Thank you for your patience with us.

Respectfully,

Dave Mawhinney
    Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship
    Donald H. Jones Center for Entrepreneurship
    Tepper School of Business
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Anyways, I think it was a really considerate thing of him to do, and hopefully we won't run into such problems in the future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:22 pm